“We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up or fight like hell.”
– Lance Armstrong
Hearing the "C" word from a doctor has to be the scariest feeling. We've all been touched by this ugly word, either we have heard it ourselves or a loved one has had to fight this battle and we try to help in any way we possibly can. October, is known as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Why is the entire month dedicated to breast cancer? Because breast cancer is the most common cancer among women. According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, 1 in 8 American women will experience this cancer in their lives.
Research continues to be top priority in the medical field and wonderful advances have been made. So many people have survived and continue to live a good life. For this reason, every October Joyful Sentiments partners with the Dana Farber Cancer Care and Research Foundation to help fight the fight not only for breast cancer but for all cancers.
For the entire month of October, Joyful Sentiments will be donating $1.00 of every sale from our website or Amazon site to help find a cure for this terrible disease. See designs below of pieces designed to help raise awareness.
One thing we know for sure is how important it is to stay positive and work to keep the body and immune system strong.
Research tells us that a plant-rich diet full of vegetables, lentils, beans, fruit, nuts, eggs, and Omega 3-rich fish will provide fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats to aid healing and boost immunity.
We've learned that foods like mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower, lentils, black beans, and spinach are some of the best for fighting breast cancer. Below is a soup full of healthy vegetables that tastes delicious and it's easy to make.
Veggie Soup to Help Fight Cancer
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2–3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use less if you don’t like heat)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 12 cups (or three 32-ounce cartons) of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes (look for BPA-free cans)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup lentils (any kind will work; rinse first)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped finely
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped finely
- 2–3 cups spinach, chopped
- 1–2 cups frozen green peas
Lets start cooking:
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onions, carrots, and celery for about 4-5 minutes, until tender. Add in the garlic and stir for 1 more minute. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning.
- Stir in the chicken or vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, black beans, lentils, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer (slight bubbling), stirring occasionally. Season again lightly with salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, and broccoli and simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and frozen peas and turn off the heat (or turn to low), so they don’t overcook. Remove bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- If you like, serve with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese and/or whole grain crackers or crusty bread.
This hearty soup brings a health and tasty dose of vegetable to the table to help boost the immune system. Make ahead and freeze for later or fill some mason jars and deliver to a friend fighting the fight.
To honor breast cancer awareness month, the Joyful Sentiments family has designed pieces to not only raise awareness for all types of cancer, but also to show our support to those individuals and families who are facing this battle with bravery and determination every day.
Bracelets with a special messages to keep fighting and stay positive & Always Expect Miracles...
Rings available in sizes 5-10
Many pendants and key rings with positive messages.
Keep Fighting and Never Never Give up HOPE!
Lots of Love and Healing Vibes to all in need from our Joyful Sentiments family.